Montroyal School Zone Safety
Walking & Rolling to school (even part way) is the healthiest way to get to school.
Be a safe pedestrian. Visit ICBC site to see tips for pedestrians and drivers.
We encourage walking or cycling to school to improve students’ concentration and overall health, plus with the current construction projects, it may be faster for students to walk in groups, so parents don’t need to add any more time on to their morning. If the walk is greater than 15 minutes; drive to 5, which is driving a few blocks from school and allowing students the chance to get some fresh air and exercise.
It is a good idea to remind our students how to be safe pedestrians and cyclists by using – STOP – LOOK and LISTEN while traveling to and from school. ICBC has a great parent guide to assist with your conversation.
Drive to 5 Locations and Parking Locations
These are some areas where you can park and walk with your child to school or drop off and they walk with friends:
- Sonora Place cul-de-sac
- Cliffridge Ave before and after the drop off/ pick up zone
- Ranger above the school and walk through the forest
- Sarita Pl. and take trail to Sonora Pl
Drop Off / Pick Up Zone
This is the marked area located in front of the school and traffic is to remain flowing to avoid congestion on Sonora Dr. This is possible if drivers:
- Follow the instructions of our G5 Move It Team.
- Students enter car at the top of the pick-up zone,by the patroller with the stop sign. This prevents cars pulling out unexpectedly or at the same time. The process may take longer but it prevents accidents.
- Ensure backpacks are kept in the back seat.
- Used for students who can enter and exit the car independently.
- Communicate with your child to meet at drop zone at 3:10 – this gives them time to get out of class and avoids the need to circle.
- Playdates are arranged by parking and walking to the school yard and not in the pick-up zone.
- Use your indicator and always do a shoulder check to ensure it is safe to pull out of drop off/pick up zone.
Please follow the rules of the road and be a courteous driver when you are driving within our school zone or around town:
The Traffic Safety program at Montroyal is a joint effort between the School Administration and our Grade 5 parent volunteers and student safety patrollers. This program provides not only a safer place for all of our children during pick-up time at Montroyal, it also provides an opportunity for the student patrollers to learn leadership and teamwork skills, and to develop maturity.